Kids for the Earth Week Workshops
Kids for the Earth: morning program, daily 9:30-10:30 and 11:00-12:00
Day 1) Ecology -- it’s all about connections, adaptations, and utilizing resources
1) Animal Adaptations
How we live in the world is based on our bodies and our 5 senses.
Can you name those 5 senses?
Can you think of 3 different animals that use one or two special senses to their advantage?
We will talk about bats, rabbits, cats, horses, bees (see colors we don’t see), moth predator avoidance,
How skunks rely on your sense of smell, elephants (who hear low frequency sounds we don’t hear)
Materials: animal track clue cards, animal skulls, animal pelts.
2) Practical: Walk in the woods – simple introduction to find salamanders, collect bark & leaf litter.
3) Set up Bug Collector using bark, leaf litter and some rotten wood.
Bug collector: work light, container of leaf litter, large funnel, clear jar below, (some kind of rack), alcohol.
Optional Project -- Explore your creativity during the break?
Draw an imaginary animal and tell us something about where it lives and when it is most active.
Day 2 A World Beneath Our Feet
1) Walk in the Woods Part II --
Ecology is all about connections, layers, shared resources. Habitats are often partitioned – or shared in different ways. Examples: time of day, season of the year, vertical layers in the woods, vertical zones in the ocean. Zones affect exposure to temperature, light and moisture (on land).
2) Bug Collector -- What lives in leaf litter, tree bark and rotten wood? springtails, sowbugs, spiders and more
3) Set up experiment on Transpiration in Trees and check the results tomorrow.
Optional Project: Collect bits & pieces – leaves, sticks, shells, driftwood, and more – for a nature mobile
Day 3 Service Project
1) Dune Walk – short visit to talk about dunes
2) Results from experiment on Transpiration in Trees and check the results tomorrow.
a) Dune Grass Propagation
b) Mulching with seaweed
Optional project: Mobile of found treasures
Book your Ferry Beach experience here:
Day 4) Beach Walk
Beaches and water habitats are zoned in ways similar to the woods, but the challenges are different.
For instance, plants and animals in the ocean need to find ways to keep salt out of their insides.
1) Experiment: the Dirt on Dirt
This experiment shows us how soil contains water, air, micro-organisms, and sediments of different compositions.
2) Beach Walk –
a) Experiment: Beach Sand – not all beach sand is the same! See how beach sand sorts into sediment layers
b) Seaweeds – collect seaweed for id; arrange according to zones of tolerance for turbulence & low light
Optional: we will make displays from some of the seaweeds we’ve found, and arrange them by habitat.
Want to help with a mural panel?
Day 5) Ponds & Pools
1) Pond Exploration
Ponds in the Ferry Beach woodland are actually part of the dune ecosystem! Plovers belong as much to these back-dune wetlands as they do to the frontal beach where they hatch! Dip nets will give us a chance to see what lives in these wetlands.
2) Experiment: Water clean enough to drink?
We will collect water from the back ponds, the Saco River (I’ll bring that), and the ocean. The water will be filtered and then we’ll compare the filters under a microscope to see what we’ve found. Are you sure you want to drink that?
What challenges do you think plants in the salt marsh experience?
We will talk about light, temperature, salinity, turbulence and how some
- General Summer Conference Information
Summer Conferences & Camps
- Annual Meeting
- JUN 9-15: Work & Play
- JUN 9-12 or 12-15: Work, Play and Grow (Young Adult)
- JUN 15-24: Profound Treasury
- JUN 24-30 or JUN 30 - JUL 7: Youth Camps >
- JUL 7-13: RE Week >
- JUL 14-20: ChoralFest >
- JUL 14-21: GAYLA >
- Jul 21-28: Yoga Retreat
- JUL 21-28: Kayaking & Paddle Boarding >
- JUL 22-27: Slow Fashion
- JUL 28 - AUG 4: Family & Friends >
- AUG 4-11: UUFAF
- AUG 5-10: Motivational Interviewing
- AUG 11: Concert
- AUG 11-17: Circle of Music >
- AUG 11-17: Company of Women
- AUG 12-16: Women's Healing Retreat
- AUG 20-24: Soul Path Renewal
- AUG 19 - 23: Sacred Circle Dance at Ferry Beach
- AUG 26-29: Only Love
- AUG 26-28: The Beach Getaway
- AUG 28-31: Our Whole Lives for Young Professionals
- AUG 26 - SEP 1: Quilting by the Bay
- AUG 31 - SEP 3: Labor Day Weekend
- SEP 2: Labor Day Eve Singing Vigil
- Family Conferences
- Adult Conferences
- Ferry Beach Art
- Saving Our Shoreline
- Ferry Beach Ecology
- Minister and Musician of the Week
- Sign Up
- Mission 2017